Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thanksgiving and a 32 ft. extension ladder?









Thanksgiving was wonderful this year! We had a great time with our families. Chad and I were able to have a four day weekend which was amazing! So I was all excited about it being my first Thanksgiving and taking something to Honey's. Chad and I make a delish Pecan Pie. Chad makes the crust and I do the filling and all I can say is yum! Or at least that is what I thought the family would say. It looked absolutely amazing. As Tina, Jenn and I are washing dishes and cleaning up I hear my mom, "Laura, did you put sugar in this?" All of these thoughts are going through my head I know I put sugar in there. I walk to where my mom is and everyone continues eating with a sour face...At this point I am really confused. I love cooking! What did I do wrong? Well you see the recipe called for 1/3 tsp salt and I misread it and thought it called for 3 tsp. Poor Uncle Georgia had to chug water afterwards...Oh well, atleast I know what I did wrong but it still looked good as you can tell...

9 inch pie crust
1 cup light corn syrup
3 eggs slightly beaten
1/3 butter melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 TSP SALT
1 cup pecan halves
Preheat oven to 350. Combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt and vanilla. Mix well in large bowl. Pour into crust. Add pecans on top. Bake for 45 mins or toothpick comes out clean. I think the key to this being so good is the curst made from scratch found on the back of the Crisco can:) Enjoy and go easy on the salt ;)

On the way home we stopped at Wal-mart and checked out what was going to be on sale the next morning. After walking around and looking at the paper we didnt really see a whole lot. I was super pumped about sleeping in the next morning. Much to my suprise....I heard Chad grunting next to me. After the third time I was like, "What babe?" to which he responded, "wanna go shopping?" I looked at my cell...Time:5:15am! Are you kidding me? We got up and went to Walmart, For what exactly? Not sure...but we got some tools and DVD's; went home and went to sleep...Very random morning...
Then the Christmas decorating began....
So after waking up from sleeping when we got back from shopping we headed outside to begin our fun with icycle lights. We have a little 17 ft ladder and Chad begins to prop the ladder up against the house. If you have seen our house you know that 17 ft. is not going to cut it. We came back inside to look on Craig's List for an extension ladder. Wouldn't you know that someone about 5 minutes away was selling a 32 ft. extension ladder and asking $230 for it. We called him and offered $200. He accepts. We go to the bank to get the cash and head to the guys house. We get into the neighborhood and it dawns on my we have no ropes or straps...Nothing for this huge ladder we are about to buy. Did I mention that Chad has a Ford Ranger? We proceed down the driveway...Make our purchase and then begin trying to figure out how in the world we are going to do this. The guy offers us the sorriest excuse for rope I think I have ever seen. But hey we can't complain we had nothing...We tie it down but of course it is not going to stay. We then decide what we are going to do...
Me- "I guess you are going to have to sit on it to hold it in while I drive home..."
and that is what we did. Chad in his PJ's is sitting on a 32 ft long extension ladder while I drive home and it's not exactly warm outside. I wish I had a picture but Chad refused to let me take one. Please know that while I am driving to the house I am laughing my butt off in the truck. Poor Chad was smiling at the guy behind us and lets just say he was not getting one in return.
I think it is safe to say that after 2 days of trying to get icycle lights on the house Chad is not a fan. I can only imagine what he was saying when he was on the ladder...but at least we didn't have a Chevy Chase style ladder experience (Christmas Vacation)...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE the lights on the house! Very classy looking! Looks like it was worth sitting on the ladder in the freezing cold on the way home! :)

Samantha Marie Brooks said...

The house looks Gorgeous! My husband has refused Christmas lights every year since our first experience!