Friday, March 19, 2010

Ski Trip Attempt #2 = SUCCESS!

Our ski trip was so much fun I honestly don't know where to begin! We made it to our cabin by about 5:00 on Friday afternoon and got settled in. We went to Sagebrush (equivalent to Longhorn) that night for dinner. After we got back from dinner we played Rummikub (one of our favorite games). There was actually a garden tub with jets in the bedroom, which was wonderful! I knew this was going to come in handy after a full day of skiing! Our Friday night was not that exciting but it was good to relax and not have to worry about anything.
We got an early start Saturday morning. Cataloochee opened at 8:30 and that is exactly what time we got there. It was a good four miles up the mountain. We stopped for pictures along the way. The scenery was gorgeous! When we arrived at Cataloochee we were able to bypass the ticket lines and go straight to rentals. We got our boots which I must say were dreadfully uncomfortable. You would think they would try to make those things more comfortable considering how long you are in them. Then we got our skis and we were on our way. Our package included a beginners ski class but that is not our style. I went skiing when I was a Senior and Chad went a very long time ago with Jeremy. We practiced a little bit on this baby slope to get a feel which was a good idea. We then made our way to our first ski lift ride. If you have ever been skiing you know there are basically four different lines and they merge together and everyone takes turns. Well it was our turn and they have a red line that you are to wait behind until it is your turn, Well, Chad got a little excited and ahead of himself. As he was sliding to the pick up spot he got all twisted up and sideways and busted it right there. I was standing behind him cracking up while the guy operating the ski lift just looked at him (which was making me laugh even harder). You know you are a beginner when they have to stop the ski lift for you. Hilarious! After that we get on the lift. Someone informed us this was the lift for the beginners. We got off and began making our way down. It may have been the steepest beginner slope I had been on. After a few falls, we made it to the botttom and I looked at Chad and said, "There is no way that was a beginner." Come to find out it wasn't. We went straight to intermediate. One of the funniest parts about the trip was this; Chad was pretty good while he was moving but whenever we were standing still or not moving that is when he would bust it. Why? I couldn't figure it out. I didn't mind laughing though. If you know Chad and I we are both very competitive with each other. Always striving to beat each other. Bottom line - I always end up losing to him...Well not this time! FINALLY! I wouldn't say that I am better but he def fell more than I did. I think it is safe to say that we are on the same level but I may be two steps ahead of him ;) Love you babe!
However, I do believe that I provided to the highlight of the weekend.
It is way better when Chad tells this but I will do my best.
MUST READ!!!
There were two black diamonds at Cataloochee. One we knew we better not but the other we thought we had a chance. After lunch on Saturday we continued doing the same slopes and we were getting better so maybe our ego kicked in. We went up the lift and stood there facing the black diamond. This slope had a very very steep drop off. That is what made it so intimidating. However, there was a little path off to the right that would ease you down the steep part and then you were able to make it down. I don't know what came over me but after standing there for 30 mins debating back and forth in our heads, I guess I got tired of waiting. I watched countless people go over the steep part and go side to side. You are not supposed to go straight down. The side to side makes it not as fast. I looked at Chad and said I am tired of waiting...I didn't go down the side path - I went straight for the steep part. I cannot tell you what I was thinking...I obviously was not. I think it caught Chad off guard. I am laughing as I write this...Words cannot describe how fast I was going and how scared I was. I had no time to begin the side to side skiing. I was going straight down accumulating more and more speed. I was going so fast that I was actually getting air when I get bumps. Scared doesn't begin to desribe what I was feeling. I thought there was a chance that I was going to make it. Back at the stop; Chad had so many things running through his mind. He makes me laugh. When I took off he was thinking, "What is she doing?" "She is going to die." "She is going to take someone out." "She's not slowing down." My favorite thought that he had was as soon as I rolled over the drop off and he realized what happened, he was like, "I LOVE YOU BABE!" He said that could tell which skiiers knew what they were doing and how they were going side to side and he said I was flying right up the middle passing them. He told me I was completely straight leg. I was not bending my knees at all. He told me he turned his head because he couldn't watch. Now, back down where I was. I knew it was coming to an end. My hat flew off and I hit a bump and was airborned and fell on my rear. When you fall skiing you are supposed to fall to the side otherwise you keep going. Well because my skis were still on the ground I was still hauling butt. I was trying to stop myself with my arms which was creating a huge snow cloud. Next thing I remember was rolling and landing sideways with one ski on and the other one about 25 ft behind me. I just sat there covered in snow, laughing. I look up to see where Chad is and I see him coming down the path to the right. I'm thinking, "Here comes my knight in Shining Armor!" Not exactly. Chad wiped out worse than I did. I didn't exactly see it but thats what the guy behind me said. He helped me get my ski and I was laughing at Chad and he said, "Well, you made it way further than he did and his fall was worse. So atleast you can say that to him." He made me feel better :)
Chad finally made it down to the side that I pulled off to with my hat in hand and we just laughed. Thankful, of course that I didn't go off a cliff or injure someone else but laughing because the whole situation was just that funny.
If I shared all of the funny stories with you from the weekend you would be reading for days.
This is when we arrived at the Cabin.

Chad wasted no time eating. :)

On our way up the mountain to begin the skiing :)

On the Ski lift...With a death grip on my camera...

My Hubbs <3

Yes, I know what your thinking and Yes, we are professionals :)

On the way up on the ski lift.

One of many trips up the Ski lift :)

This is a weekend I will always remember. Thank you Babe! Our life together gets better everyday <3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love you both. You look so happy together.