Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Book Reviews

So far this year I have completed two books. Two wonderful books. I will offer my opinions on each for those that are interested :)


I started reading My Sisters Keeper in December of last year. I knew vaguely what the book was about but refused to see the movie until I read the book. Not seeing the movie was hard because I really wanted to but I think Jenn, my sister might have killed me if I did that. She, having read the book has been waiting on me to finish it so we could see the movie. Had I broken that promise it would have been an ultimate betrayl and I would not be here to write this book review. Now, with that out of the way on to the review.

If you have children-I do not recommend you read this book. I do not have any children yet and I could not imagine reading this book when I do. I have read The Pact, by Jodi Picoult book before this one and I must say My Sister's Keeper was the better of the two. Her style of writing can be confusing and at times frustrating for some. Throughout this book, she would flash back and forth between time periods and the story from the different characters perspectives. However, with this story being amazing and captivating it was not hard for me to keep up. I could hardly put this book down. This story is about a family with a sick daughter, Kate, who is battling a form of leukemia in consistent needs of transplants and bone marrow. While they have an older son, Jesse - he is not a match and neither are the parents. They begin working with the Doctors to have a child that is a perfect match (donor) for their sick daugher. Anna, as soon as she is born begins her life as a donor for Kate. As they get older, it is decided the Kate needs a kidney or she will die. Anna, at age 12, decides she no longer wants to put her body through all of this and finds an attorney for the rights for her body's medical decisions. Picoult takes you through the views of the story from all characters and she did a fantastic job at doing this. You begin to feel connected to all of the characters in different ways. The decisions in this book that are made are mind boggling and you will find yourself torn throughout the book. This is all I can give you without giving away the entire book. My opinion on this book on a scale from 1-10 is an 8. However, this book should come with a warning on the cover that says: WARNING READ WITH A BOX OF TISSUES!!

Second Book was Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. If you read Nicholas Sparks you know that his books never end Happily Ever After- there is always a bittersweet twist. I personally really enjoyed this book because right from the beginning you could feel the love that John and Savannah shared. I'm not just saying that; you really could. He does a great job of making you become frustrated with the two because you so badly want them to be together. Between the military and obstacles in life it just seems impossible. On a scale of 1-10- I would give it a 7. Just a heads up; The book and the movie are entirely different. My vote was for the book, personally I thought it was a better.

No comments: