Thursday, October 14, 2010

24 Weeks and an Ear of Corn

Courtesy of Baby Center:
Landon is growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

I go this afternoon for my montly check-up. I would love to tell you how much weight I have gained but honestly I do not have a scale at the house.  So I'm not that sure - If I had to guess at my last appt - I gained 6 pounds so for this one I am guessing close to 10 - as you can see I am growing and so is Landon :)
Landon is also well on his way to having a closet like his mommy - well maybe not that bad but I love the fact that he has two pairs of shoes already and is collecting outfits! :) He has no idea how much he is loved already!! Now if I could just fast forward this whole third trimester that would be awesome! I cannot wait for him to get here!!!

Now I need some advice - I am trying a few different things but not having much luck.
I know that my posture has changed because of the extra weight gain but it is causing pain in my upper back and neck, I put the heating pad on my back last night. At work, I am trying to sit up straighter at my desk. Just not sure what else to try doing...Any ideas or is it here to stay???

5 comments:

claire @ a peachtree city life said...

you look wonderful!! hope things slow down a little for you too! :)

Samantha Marie Brooks said...

Chiropractor! I'm not just saying that because I work for one either... I couldn't even stand up at the end of the day without mine during pregnancy! I really belive that it helped me with natural childbirth too.

Jennifer Jackson said...

I totally agree with the chiro thing! I cant tell u how much it helped me! I believe it helped with a fast delivery too! :) Good luck and I hope u feel better soon

Marie Burnham said...

try putting a small pillow folded over behind your back at your desk. and put your feet on a small step stool so that you are forced to sit straighter. pregnancy is hard on your joints and muscles so it's kind of par for the course. hang in there!

Unknown said...

I too would suggest seeing a chiropractor. I worked for one for almost 10 years and saw that it helped our pregnant patients tremendously! :-) Also, dry heat isn't recommended (i.e. a heating pad). I know it may feel good at the time, but it will cause the area and surrounding muscles to become even more inflamed. Moist heat is always better, but no more than 20 minutes at a time. You can try taking a hot shower or wetting a towel and heating it in the microwave. Hope this helps! Jenny K.