Tuesday, December 23, 2008

God's Gift of Christmas

While I am sitting at work today answering the phones at church for Linda I have been reading a book by John MacArthur called, God's Gift of Christmas. If you do not own this book I urge you to. This book so far has put many things into perspective for me. I chose to read it today because I think throughout the Christmas season the true meaning for the Christmas season gets lost. John has once again blown me away with putting things so simply that I wonder how I have missed this for so many years.
He discussed the incarnation which was the act of the preexistent Son of God voluntarily assuming a human body and human nature. He did not give up his diety to become human but he set aside the right to his glory and power (Phil 2:5-8). He pursued God's will and never waivered. What an amazing example we have.
Colossians 1:15-20 describes Jesus' Divine Nature. "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning , the firstborn from the dead, so that He himself will come to have first place in everything. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, and through him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven. -Colossians 1:15-20. I find peace in this scripture. I take great comfort with everything going on in the world right now knowing that He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. Everything that happens (big or small) is according to his perfect will. I cannot think of a place I'd rather be than in the center of God's Will for my life, where ever it may lead me. These truths are what make Christmas truly wonderful.
In 2 Corinthians 8:9, John brought out the immeasurable gift of Christmas. Christ, God's own Son, gave up his wealth and privilege to live as God with us, that he might save his people from their sins, and that through His poverty might become rich. There is no greater gift on earth than this.
I hope this Christmas for people to remember the sacrifice, suffering, and love that come with Christ's love for everyone. You aren't just another person you are special and loved by God. This being my last official Christmas waking up in my bed at home is bittersweet. I am excited for the new but mindful of all the wonderful memories I am taking with me. I don't tell my family enough how much I love them and how much they mean to me. I am so thankful that God has blessed me with my parents. I am who I am because of them and instilling in me my Christian values. They are always supportive, honest (even when I don't want them to be), and there to give unconditional love. This Christmas I am mindful of all I have to look forward to and all that I have to be thankful for.
I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No comments: