Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Landon's Arrival Continued



Once we got to the Hospital and told them my water broke we were shown to our room. Once we got to the room I was given my huge gown. I then crawled into bed and there was water on the floor. Thankfully, a wonderful woman came in and had to mop it up. The ridiculously long check-in process began. I knew the contractions were going to start hurting since I had released the Pacific Ocean. All I wanted was my epidural but I had to wait to get checked in. Did I say the contractions were going to start hurting? Forgive me - That was an understatement. I like to think I have a pretty decent pain tolerance but good Lord! Those jokers are rough. They pretty much began hurting when we got to the hospital around 9:30pm and they were coming every minute and lasting for a minute so I was not getting much relief or time to re-cooperate. I was trying to be strong and take them like a champ but I'm sure I looked pretty crazy when they were coming. I caught Chad laughing a few times at me. I'd like to see how he would handle them but I will never know! It took 2 hours for me to get my epidural. 2 hours of contractions. I didn't even feel the epidural go in but after I got it I could have done a little dance! After getting it, I cannot imagine for the life of me why anyone would want to experience those. I don't get it but I don't judge either. Whatever floats your boat - I however am in love with the epidural. Enough about that. Throughout the evening I continued to dialate and was constantly told to rest, that I would need it. Sleep and the Hospital just don't go together. My blood pressure was getting checked every 10 minutes, alarms going off, machines beeping constantly and the nurse coming in every 5 minutes.

Speaking of the nurse - not impressed. The doctor on call, it was the first time I met her and I was not impressed. Unfortunately, we had to deal with them until 7am but I saw light at the end of the tunnel. I kept telling Landon to hold off until 7am. Why you ask? Because the wonderful Dr. Turner who I had seen throughout the pregnancy would be there and we would get a new nurse. Funny story - There was something beeping really loud in our room at one point and the nurse ran in and asked us what the noise was. I was thinking seriously. How in the world would I know? Chad's response - "I don't know - I don't work here." Oh, how I love that man. At another point, something else was beeping and she came in and asked us which of my IV bags was empty - Again, no clue. It was pretty frustrating.

So 7am rolled around and instantly a new nurse came in and Dr. Turner came in the room. It was like a beam of light filled the room. Totally different experience immediately! When they walked out after we talked - Chad literally stood up and started dancing which made me crack up laughing. After that, It was a pretty long day. Chad was going out periodically and updating family and friends that were there. I continued to dialate but waiting to get to 10 cm seemed like an eternity. If memory serves me correct, I think I started pushing about 12:30ish. It was so strange pushing but not really being able to feel anything. Thank you epidural! I felt like I was pushing with all my might and he was so close to coming - atleast that's what I was told. They kept telling me how great I was doing so I kept thinking I'm going to hear my son crying soon. I pushed and pushed for two hours. Then it changed. Dr. Turner came in and monitored my pushing and she got a look of concern on her face. It scared me but I kept pushing. Then she informed me that I had a fever and Landon's heart was going into distress during my contractions. With these two factors she insisted we do a C-section to prevent him from getting a fever or something more serious happening. Instantly, I couldn't help but feel like I failed and I began to cry. I think it was a mix of exhaustion and panic.

It didn't take long for them to prep me for the C-section but I had to sign all of these papers. Chad had to wait in the room while they took me and then they would go get him. The room was all white and the bed they moved me onto was incredibly small. They began to get me all doped up. I was so out of it. I remember a guy telling me he would let me know when they were going to start since all I could see was a blue sheet. As soon as he said that, he told me she started but I paniced and asked where Chad was?!?! He left the room and got Chad. I needed him. So I felt the pressure which was crazy but not the cutting. It was so strange. Within minutes, my whole body moved up and then got pulled down. Instantly, I felt my stomach shrink and I heard a loud cry (which I hear everyday now ;) Tears filled mine and Chad's eyes. All I wanted to do was see him and hold him but still only the blue sheet. Chad went to see him and I was informed that the little booger was 8 lbs 7 oz. How in the world did that happen?!? No wonder my stomach didn't drop - there was no where for him to go!!  No wonder he was in my rib cage!! So at 3:24pm my little man entered the world with a loud set of lungs :) 19 hours of labor and that's not counting Friday. After they cleaned him up the nurse brought him over to me. What a moment that I will never forget. He was perfect. The bonding was instant. He knew I was his mommy. Then they left and I finished getting sewn up. I actually fell asleep during this. Onto recovery! I remember laying there leaving the room and I asked the nurse if I could take off my Oh so sexy shower cap. She laughed and said just a minute ;) I was only in recovery for an hour. All I wanted to do was hold him. Chad brought my mom's camera to me because she had video of him in the nursery. As I watched this, I couldn't hold back the tears. He was so alert and wide-eyed. He was just beautiful. The video at the bottom is the one I watched from my mom's camera :)

I finally got to leave recovery and I remember heading down the hallway and seeing our entourage there ;) I was so out of it and I'm sure I looked it - haha. I got to my room and got all hooked up and then she asked if I wanted Landon. Well of course! She brought him in and words cannot describe my feelings as I held him and looked at him. I was so thankful that he was healthy and that God never left my side. Sitting there with my little family my love for Chad was through the roof. I love the fact that God knew Chad and I would fall in love and create such a handsome son. Brings tears to my eyes just typing that. God is so good and we are going to raise Landon in a home filled with more love than he can imagine.

Chad and I want to thank everyone for their love and support throughout this adventure. It has been long but so worth it and I would do it again tomorrow. Chad and I are overwhelmed with how much we are loved but we are truly blessed to have a son that is loved far more than he knows.
Walking the halls on Friday night
Exhausted Friday Night

My Mom and Dad on Friday night

Sunday in the nursery

Sunday in the Nursery

Wide eyed - Ready for the World

My Father in law Joey but to Landon - Big Daddy

Aunt Jennifer with Landon

Proud Daddy

Proud Grandmother :)

Big Daddy with Landon

Aunt Jennifer :)

Proud Grandfather :)

Landon with his Great Grandmother, Honey :)

Aunt Brenda and proud Grandmother :)

Tara, one of my co-workers, with Landon :)

Group shot!

Uncle Clay and Grandmother :)

Landon's First Video and my first real glimpse of my son :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful story - I'm so glad that you and Landon are both happy and healthy! I look forward to sharing my own story in two months!

Meganash85 said...

DId you have your baby at Piedmont Fayette?? If so, I believe Dr. Turner is who delivered (did the c-section) my sister's baby as well.

That story was Soo sweet, it made me tear up!

I can tell you are already a wonderful mother, and that sweet boy is just too adorable!!!e

Tara Ball said...

Your birth story is so sweet! When I had my baby girl Dr. Turner is who I saw as well. She used to be with Dr. Cooks practice but has since moved. I LOVED her!

I hope you are doing well and I'm sure you have heard it many times but it does get easier. That first month was a doosy for me to! :)

Tara
(Senoia, GA)

Laura said...

I did deliver at Piedmont Fayette :) Dr. Turner is amazing!